Learn the essential components of designing and teaching safe, effective and enjoyable senior fitness programs. Increase your understanding of the aging process and special exercise considerations and modifications. This one-day workshop covers an overview of today's older adults, from very active to the sedentary frail, the many changes that occur with aging, chronic disease management, pre-exercise assessments, AFAA Standards and Guidelines for Seniors, and programming ideas.
WHAT IS IT?Defining America's older adults
Physiological and functional changes with age and the adaptations associated with exercise
Barriers to physical activity and quality of life issues
Chronic disease management in an aging population
Risk factors and contraindicated exercises
AFAA's Standards & Guidelines for Senior Fitness
This one-day program covers the essentials of designing and teaching fitness programs for seniors, from group exercise to personal training. Upon completion, you will have a basic understanding of the aging process and the special considerations that are necessary in developing safe and effective exercise programs for the mature adult population, healthy and frail. Topics include:
WHO IS IT FOR?
For fitness professionals who are interested in or are presently providing fitness programs for older adults.
WHAT DOES IT COST?
The workshop fee is $129 (less 10% discount for current AFAA members).
This fee includes:
- AFAA's Standards & Guidelines for the healthy, ambulatory senior
- AFAA's Standards & Guidelines for the disabled, nonambulatory and/or frail elderly
- Lecture outline
- Functional, balance and falls assessments
- Client handouts and more
- Sample workouts for seniors
- Reference lists for music, recommended reading, research articles, and senior organizations
- 5 CEUs for AFAA certified instructors
- One year AFAA membership ($68 value) or membership extension to current members and a print or digital subscription to American Fitness magazine (does not include postage to addresses outside of the U.S.)